Mushroom business hits back over claims Erin Patterson’s dying hats served up at toxic lunch were shop-bought: ‘it’s impossible’

The Australian Mushroom Growers Association (AMGA) has backed a declare that mushrooms served at a lunch that killed three folks were purchased from a grocer.

Erin Patterson invited her former in-laws Don and Gail Patterson, Gail’s sister Heather and her esteemed husband Ian to their property in Victoria’s Gippsland space for a beef Wellington on 29 July. The meal is believed to have contained toxic wild mushrooms.

Don, 70, Gail, 70, and Heather, 66, have all since died, and Ian is retaining life in hospital awaiting a liver transplant.

On Friday, Ms Patterson supplied Victoria Police an affidavit saying she had purchased a packet of dried mushrooms with a handwritten label from an Asian grocer in Mount Waverley, a suburb of Melbourne, at least three months earlier than lunch.

But the AMGA mentioned on Tuesday that lifeless cap mushrooms and varied dangerous varieties can’t be grown and harvested in business actions as a result of they “only grow in the wild”.

The Australian Mushroom Growers Association (AMGA) claimed a dying cap mushroom was purchased from a grocer and served at lunch, killing three folks.

Erin Patterson (pictured), who used the mushrooms within the lethal beef wellington, claims she purchased the dried mushrooms from an Asian grocer at least three months earlier.

“AMGA extends its deepest sympathies to the families of those affected by the recent tragedy in Leongatha and to the entire Gippsland community,” the assertion mentioned.

“Given the latest deal with mushrooms, AMGA believes there’s a want to tell the general public that commercially grown mushrooms produced in Australia are secure and of top of the range. If you need secure mushrooms, purchase recent Australian grown mushrooms.

The affiliation went on to say that the mushrooms are “grown indoors in controlled areas with strict hygiene protocols and food safety standards”.

The claims come after Asian grocers in Mt Waverley additionally vehemently denied any suggestion Ms Patterson could have purchased the mushrooms from their shops.

Daily Mail Australia visited Asian grocers in and across the suburb’s heartland on Tuesday to buy round.

Located in Hamilton Place, TK Asian Supermarket is by far the largest and hottest of its selection.

Two store assistants advised Daily Mail Australia that that they had by no means heard of anybody getting sick from consuming mushrooms they purchased from their store.

One shopkeeper mentioned he thought the thought of ​​somebody getting sick from store-bought dried mushrooms was “crazy”.

The meal killed Gail and Don Patterson, Erin’s former in-laws, and Gail’s sister Heather Wilkinson, whereas Mrs Wilkinson’s husband, the Reverend Ian, was left in a essential situation.

‘Yes, dried toadstools. I do not study it,” he said.

“We don’t know if she purchased them right here. I noticed her on the information however I do not actually bear in mind.

The shopkeeper mentioned none of their mushrooms were labeled as Ms Patterson described her buy to police.

“She said it was a handwritten white label and we never sold it,” he mentioned.

In the realm, Daily Mail Australia purchased comparable responses from East Mart and 28 Mart.

East Mart did not even promote dried mushrooms, whereas the retailer confirmed by way of Google Translate that its fridge was solely stocked with recent or frozen mushrooms.

28. March’s dried mushroom merchandise were correctly labeled and this retailer additional contested that Mount Waverley was providing toxic dried mushrooms.

“I sell dried mushrooms, do you want to try?” requested the shopkeeper.

It merely doesn’t point out that any of the retailers were providing toxic mushrooms.

TK Asian supermarkets denied claims that the toxic mushrooms got here right here from Mt Waverley. It merely doesn’t point out that any of the retailers were providing toxic mushrooms

All dried mushrooms supplied on March 28 were clearly labeled. None were white or handwritten

People proceed to buy dried mushrooms. There are not any warnings that this shouldn’t be finished

The most up-to-date wellbeing advisories and warnings printed by Victoria’s Chief Health Officer, along with the Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ) recall database, embrace only one mushroom warning this 12 months.

This warning was associated to the withdrawal of Enoki mushrooms from pure mushrooms as a result of incorrect highest charge sooner than July 13, 2023, “increase consumers’ risk of developing listeria infection.”

However, there were no handwritten labels on the package deal for these mushrooms.

Ms Patterson has denied any fees and no fees are anticipated at this stage of the investigation.

Daily Mail Australia just isn’t alleging Ms Patterson was answerable for any of the poisonings or deaths.

Related Articles

Back to top button