A coveted lamp bought at Kmart across Australia has been recalled amid fears its customers could be electrocuted.
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission has confirmed that Marmo table lamps with built-in switches have been recalled due to a defect that exposed wires.
“The power cord can come loose where it meets the built-in switch, exposing live wires,” the ACCC investigates.
“There is a risk of serious injury or death from electric shock or electric shock.
“There have been cases of electric shock associated with this defect.”
Marmo table lamps purchased at Kmart recalled. Credit: ACCC
The affected lamps have key codes 42245209 and 42328384 with batch codes 33/15 to 51/18 and were purchased between January 1, 2016 and December 31, 2019.
What are the pitfalls?
The power wire can be released where it touches the internal switch, exposing the permanent wires.
What are the risks?
There is a risk of serious injury or death from electric shock or electric shock. Electric shock incidents related to this defect.
What should customers do?
Consumers should stop using the product immediately, unplug it and cut the cord safely.
Return to your nearest Kmart or Khub retailer for a refund or exchange for a brand new Marmo table lamp.
For further details please contact Kmart Customer Service on 1800 124 125 Monday to Friday from 7am to 6pm AEST or visit www.kmart.com.au.