Health News

Damion Mayton and 1 other identified as body recovered from Fort Gibson Lake

FORT GIBSON, Okla. — Following the recovery of two bodies from Fort Gibson Lake following a cliff jumping accident, authorities were able to identify one of the victims. On Saturday, two remains were taken from Fort Gibson Lake and brought to the surface. On Monday, authorities confirmed that one of the two victims was a 19-year-old man named Damion Mayton. The identity of the second victim, a 16-year-old boy, will not be released.

Authorities say the two victims were jumping off rocks into the lake when a storm with high winds and large waves quickly rolled in, making it difficult for the victims to get out of the water and onto their feet. security. The young man, then aged 16, was one of three people who came out of the water alive. Mayton struggled to get out of the water, so the 16-year-old came back to help him. The two victims dove into the sea but did not come back up to breathe.

On Tuesday, a judge sentenced Jerry Ryals, 28, to nine months in prison, a 36-month probation term and a $2,000 reparations order. On May 5, he pleaded guilty to Civil Disorder. At first, he was being investigated on five counts related to an attempt to prevent Congress from certifying the results of the presidential election. A Fort Gibson man has pleaded guilty for his alleged role in the attack on the United States Capitol on January 6, 2021.

Ryals, an electrical intern, and Anthony Alfred Griffith Sr., an electrician from Fort Gibson, walked together for the Jan. 6 march in Washington. Griffith faces charges of Obstructing an Official Process, Entering and Staying in a Restricted Building or Grounds, Disorderly and Disruptive Conduct in a Restricted Building or Grounds, Disorderly Conduct in a Capitol Building and marching, demonstrating or picketing in a Capitol Building. After an investigation that concluded with the filing of criminal complaints against the men on February 22, 2021, federal law enforcement officials made the arrests in March of that year. After Washington prosecutors submitted evidence to a federal grand jury, a new indictment was filed the following month.

Court documents say information provided to the National Threat Operations Center after the Jan. 6 attack led to the identification of Ryals and Griffith. It was reported that the tipster and a relative of Ryals recognized him as “one of the people walking out of the US Capitol” after rioters broke into the building.
approximately $1.5 million in damage was caused in an attack on the United States Capitol on January 6. The Justice Department reported that around 800 people from nearly every state had been arrested in connection with the attack.

Related Articles

Back to top button